Help and suggestions

treborx555
Re: Help and suggestions

Beitragvon treborx555 » 4. Okt 2016, 12:42

If there's hard mode, then there could very easily be nightmare mode! In nightmare, diversity of mobs would be huge, for example the new dungeon would have paladins and those web casting spiders. Though if mobs are read from the txt file, this shouldn't be possible with the current code unless manually edited (yes I snooped the map files xD)

Nightmare mode should be only for really good geared parties to collect enchanting materials. This could add another layer of progression.

The mode should be hard but not frustrating, maybe if all monsters in map are killed, you get bonus points? Maybe also bonus points for fast clears? Instead of making it too frustrating, players could skip the super hard group mobs like say 3 bosses together. Or they could try them to get bonus points. Those bonus points could be.. maybe a drop rate buff or just plain gold/enchanting mats.

Blast
Site Admin

Beitragvon Blast » 4. Okt 2016, 12:51

Yes, some information about the mobs you can find inside of txt files but I can also override this information inside of my code if I implement some kind of hard mode. Bonus points and rewards for clearing a dungeon in a short time sound good, too.

treborx555

Beitragvon treborx555 » 4. Okt 2016, 18:05

I figured out what the eggs at boss are for! It's to speed level party members with low lvl :D

mage > bunnies > xp

treborx555

Beitragvon treborx555 » 5. Okt 2016, 21:56

Here's a few flaws in descriptions and balance, hope they are helpful.

English game:

Check mage spell desc of ignite. It has desc of teleport spell.

Also what does Hot ice spell do? I mean if it reduces damage and cast time of spells by 50%.. That means you do the same damage but take twice as much mana? Or did you mean it increases the damage but reduces cast time?

Some spells are confusing because I don't know if they are used with ranged or melee weapon, like rogue skills blind, paralize etc. I thought blinding would work on bows too.

Balance:

I find myself using ALL ranged characters. Basically, there is no use for a tank when i'm fighting regular mobs, it's not like they focus the tank anyway, so I give my warrior a bow, rogue gets a bow too etc. Because it's so much easier to kill things before they get to you, melee is kinda useless when they walk for 5 seconds to get to enemy, meanwhile enemy dies.They seem only useful in boss fights.

Paladins are useless in farming and only useful in big boss fights as a tank buffer and ressurecter. They only have 1 heal on a big cooldown which makes it useless, 1 spell power spell on big cooldown and the only reason they can be useful is the bonus holy damage on hits.

Druid has a passive spell which I have no idea what does: "increases duration of positive poison effects". What are positive poison effects?

I never use priest main damage ability because my priest is full healer and wand attacks are stronger. Going for a damage priest doesn't make sense currently as i always need a full heal priest anyway.

Crit rangers seem op, along with spell power druids.

Also many classes have very easily spottable best possible builds and some talent builds are weird. Like my mage.. He's supposed to be a fire mage but because I had too many leftover points, he's also an ice mage. My healer druid has full damage talents too, ranger has only 1 good build path.

Maybe there should be more general talents like bonus crit to force characters to specialize instead of being jack of all trades.

So yeah, balance is a bit wacky now, nothing gamebreaking though. Just feels like talents should be thought out a bit better. Easy solution to split talent paths in 2 or 3 and provide unique playstyle for all paths. For example a damage dealer druid gets a tiny fast aoe heal on a big cooldown but it's based on spell power, a healer druid gets more damage on spell from healing power.

Ice mage has instant bursts and slows while fire mage does damage over time and aoe.

Ranger can be poison damage dealer or aoe damage tank.

Paladins can be offtank healer or support healers.

Warlocks can be debuffers or crowd controllers.

Provide clear visible differences in the path build, allow a bit of a cross over if player wants, but punish it so it's not used much. For example a mage can't get the best fire and best ice spell. He can only take the weakest spells from both fire and ice, but going further is impossible in both, you must specialize in one or be weak at both!

Blast
Site Admin

Beitragvon Blast » 6. Okt 2016, 08:06

Thanks again for feedback,

the spell Hot Ice works exactly as it should. Initially it was meant to be used in certain boss fights but in general you would use it too rarely I think, so I will think about some changes here.

Rogue is a melee class, so you should assume that all of its abilities are meant to be used in melee unless some ability tells something else explicitely.

With "Positive effects" I mean buffs, i.e. these are effects which can be applied on friendly characters to increase their stats or to heal them over time etc.

Yes, melee classes probably shold be buffed in some way to be more useful. On the other hand maybe ranged classes should be nurfed a little. I could make spell power, healing power or attack power less powerful, we will see. However tanks should be especially useful for boss fights, not so much for normal mobs.

I know there are balance issues. The game isn't even meant to be perfectly balanced at this state of development. There are lots of talents and spells which are missing and will be implemented one after another at some time. Just look at the talent trees, most of them are still almost empty, there is a lot to do. However I see talents and spells as a core feature of the game but it really can take months of development to implement all of them and balance things out. There are 8 character classes and each of them needs dozens of talents and spells most of which should be individual and work differently from the others. It has already taken me a lot of time to implement what there is at the moment but I think it will require much more time to finish this topic.

At the moment I am trying to give the player some very basic tools and content to get to level 50. This is my main focus at the moment. After it is reached I will spend more time in balancing, adding new cool features and all kind of things to make the game more fun and varied. I am implementing bags at the moment which I think is very important but it also requires some time and is not very easy to do because you can easily create some crucial bugs by things like that (i.e. items could disappear, game crashes, also have to treat older save game accordingly so you can still use them etc.). So this must be done very carefully and I will take enough time to make it good and stable and only after I will move to some other topic, maybe even implement new spells or talents.

treborx555

Beitragvon treborx555 » 6. Okt 2016, 08:45

Oh lol, last time I tried quickly implementing a bank, I made a mysterious dupe glitch xD

treborx555

Beitragvon treborx555 » 12. Okt 2016, 20:16

Nice update, but inventory is cropped, especially if it isnt fullscreen mode. It needs to be moved up more.

Blast
Site Admin

Beitragvon Blast » 12. Okt 2016, 22:06

What resolution are you using on Windows? :o

treborx555

Beitragvon treborx555 » 12. Okt 2016, 22:56

1366 768

The inventory menu seems to be float: top, overfill bottom.

Blast
Site Admin

Beitragvon Blast » 13. Okt 2016, 06:24

That's a very low resolution. However if you enable fullscreen in general options (restart the game after) you should be able to see the bag slots in your inventory. What you don't see is the bottom border of the screen but it's not so important.

Zurück zu „Discussions about HOTAR“